We are really pleased with the quality of all the reviews we have received from The College of North West London students so far. The College wishes to thank all of the students who have taken the time to submit reviews so far.
Learning and Support:
Based on what students have told us about Learning and Support, we are taking the following actions:
1) Assessment schedules should now be structured to ensure that 30% of assessed work is completed by the end of term 1, and 70% completed by the end of term 2
2) The Student Services Team are working to update the information on Moodle as well as the College website as this can sometimes quickly become out of date. This years induction process allowed for Student Services Managers to talk directly to students about the services and support available. The College has also made improvements with this being more consistently discussed with students as part of the enrolment process.
Employment and Careers:
Based on what students have told us about Employment and Careers, we are taking the following actions:
1) The College work experience provision is now being run by REED NCFE. They have significant experience in supporting students to engage in work experience activities related to their course. REED NCFE have access to a significant number of employers through REEDs (recruitment agency) database. REED NCFEs priorities are to source and place students in work experience placements directly related to the course they are studying on.
2)REED NCFE are working more closely with teaching staff to ensure that there is better communication with them about where and when students will be undertaking their placements. This will result in students having a better understanding of their work experience placements. The REED NCFE team can be found in the LRC at Willesden and the Open Learning Environment at Wembley.
Based on what students have told us about Well Being, we are taking the following actions:
1) The College has reviewed the way that it supports students to monitor their progress. Four, Progress Review Weeks are now scheduled throughout the year in addition to the fortnightly 1:1 sessions for 16-19 year olds. During Progress Review Weeks all students should meet with their course team leader to discuss their progress, any challenges they may be facing and agree targets to support them to be successful and achieve. Progress Reviews should take place approximately every 6 weeks.
2) Increasing the number of recycling facilities in the College will be added to the agenda of the Student Council meeting with the Head of Estates which takes place on a monthly basis.
3) The College has now changed the opening times of its Willesden Campus to allow students to enter the building at 8am. The LRC and Starbucks facilities are also now open earlier to students. A free breakfast club is also available to students aged 16-19 between 8 and 8.45 to ensure students are able to attend college and be ready to learn for their 9am lessons.
Based on what students have told us about Facilities, we are taking the following actions:
1) A meeting to talk to students about available student space outside of the Student Room and LRC is due to take place in November 2015 where discussions will take place about how we might be able to increase the student social space.
2) The College WiFi was upgraded over the summer holiday and the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) network has 100% coverage at Wembley and approximately 97% coverage at Willesden.
3) The Student Room at Wembley is currently open 28.5 hours per week. The new Open Learning Environment at Wembley has made the student space accessible to students in line with the old LRC opening times. This has approximately doubled the time the social space is available.